1. Former offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn will take the reigns of the Auburn football program. Malzahn comes to the plains from Arkansas State where he led the Red Wolves to a Sun Belt Conference Title.
2. We are one step closer to a big upgrade of retail in downtown Huntsville. The developers of the $85 million Twickenham Square project hosted a ground breaking ceremony Tuesday.
3. Vulcan Materials received preliminary approval to build a long-disputed rock quarry immediately adjacent to Gurley. The town lost a $5 million dollar lawsuit last year over its efforts to prevent a quarry in town limits.
4. Rex is being hailed a hero. The Florence K-9 saved his handler as Zach Maxwell was being assaulted by a man wanted on drug charges.
5. Immigration officials are speaking out in defense of the Etowah Detention Center after it was named one of the worst in the nation.
6. The flu is off to an early start this year. Alabama and Tennessee are among five states recognized by the CDC as the hardest hit in the country.
7. Lawmakers in DC are working with cell phone companies to remotely disconnect a phone when it is stolen. It's called bricking and it makes the phone useless.
8. It was an impressive sight in Missouri, as a major blast sends a bridge plummeting into the Missouri River. The planned implosion was part of an upgrade to the 54 year old bridge.
9. It's the busy season for the post office in Rudolph, Ohio. The location is being flooded with mail from all around the world so it can be marked with their signature reindeer stamp. 75 volunteers are on hand to help the lone postal worker.